ROADS TO RECOVERY: TIPS AND TRICKS
You CAN Do IT!
Making the choice to pick or not to pick is just that. It is a choice. Yes, it is a compulsive behavior, but you still can chose to break your compulsion. This chapter outlines a bunch of things that can help the process along. None of them is the only way to lose the habit. Use them to support the other work you are doing to change your life.
USE EVERY SINGLE MEANS YOU CAN TO STOP YOUR HABIT – DO EVERYTHING and ANYTHING it takes to stop yourself. You and your skin are beautiful and you deserve it.
Nice Things To Do For You!
Three free things that will help your skin, your health and your habit:
- Fresh AirOther things that will help include a balanced and nutritious diet, stress management and a good night’s rest. You already know all these things, but somehow still fail to get them I bet? Start giving yourself permission to enjoy the things that you enjoy once in awhile:
- Walk or lay down on some grass
- Listen to music with the headphones on
- Watch an educational program on TV.
- Dance and be silly
- Go outside and take deep breaths
- Do yoga
- Read a book
- Get a facial – or give yourself a facial
- Buy a magazine
- Sit in the bookstore or a public library and read for free
- Take a walk around the block
- Sing in the shower
- Play a computer game or video game (This can turn into an obsessive habit, too, but if it keeps you from picking – it’s a good thing in the short run.)
- And finally, give yourself permission to waste time. You deserve it!
Nice Things To Do For You! – Aromatherapy
If you feel you absolutely HAVE to do something for your skin, one of the nicest things you can do is to gently steam it. (This is of course if you have not found steam an irritant to your skin.) Here’s how to give yourself a nice Facial Sauna:
- Pour boiling water (2 quarts of distilled water) over 2 tablespoons or 2 small handfuls herbs in a wide bowl
- Drape a large bath towel over your head to make a steam tent
- Do not let your face get too close to the bowl or you could cause steam burns. Basically, no closer than 1 foot from the bowl or pot.
- Stay in tent 5-10 minutes breath the wonderful aroma given off by the herbs.
- If it gets to hot at any time – lift the towel to get some fresh air.
- Finish by splashing the face with cool water.Some of the herbs or oils you could use:
- apricot oil
- lemon oil
- cypress oil
- lavender oil
- Loose herbs: chamomile, elder blosson, mint, basil, rosemary (for oily skin), sage, slippery elm (for sensitive skin), comfrey leaf and root (for exceptionally troubled skin), strawberry leaf, raspberry leaf, acacia flower, lavender, rose petals.